Skip to main content

The energy flux, as magic.

   
As some of you guys know, I´m a biologist. I work with very little beings, that is not the case to be mentioned here. 

Two days ago, I was thinking about energy flux dynamics in ecological networks, it is a very technical expression. But mostly, it is like we all studied at school: how some vegetables produce energy through sunlight, and it is consumed in the food chain, getting on top of this chain, concentrating in the organisms we call predators. So with this, I was thinking how can I make a parallel or even make an exercise with this information, through magic systems or concepts in RPGs.

In D&D, we had a thing that we call the weave, (mostly nowadays in D&D, I am not aware if this thing existed in OS D&D, so comments and collaboration are very welcome). It works like an invisible magic web that can be manipulated by a conjurer that previously had memorized how to manipulate this thing. This doesn't, at all, make sense to me. Mostly, not because it is too fantasious or not real enough, it is a system/logic that is too obscure and abstract for the characters or even the players, and very much secure, it doesn't really have a cost to be manipulated or even a logic. And how can the same thing be memorized twice? 

So if you think that magic comes from a source, that it is produced someway with: vital energy, natural forces, concentrated solar energy, you name it! It should have a flux, and would be consumed through this. Also, it has a cost to be manipulated, concentrated or even consumed. 

In natural environments, energy dissipates, that means that through the energy flux it is lost, consumption and use are inefficient. So the amount of energy that the organisms in the top of the chain need are bigger than it should be. The consumption requirements increase in a non-linear way. Looking at our parallel, this means that magic is corrupted, the way you obtain it and also the amount you need is not fair. Very powerful magic beings did not get there via a sustentable and clean path. 

This should make magic mysterious, abstract, and mostly with a high cost that escalates with the power of it all. 

This could be a very nonsense thing for a game that should be simple and stuff. But you know, let me share some thoughts about it, I'm enjoying it. And you guys know that this could only be my way of saying that D&D magic system is lame, and FF or Whitehack magic systems are cool. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hollow Earth Magic: mechanical changes in MiniBx Core

  I’m working on a hollow earth setting for MiniBX, and started thinking about some mechanical changes to fit. In others blog posts when I beginning to work with the setting, I have wrote about the setting magic flavor, how the flux of it was energy and how this energy is drowned by the environment and it depletes the very world, the posts here explain a bit how this was being structured: energy flux, as magic , hollow earth first idea , corrupted magic . To synthetize all posts ideas:  magic is draining users and the world itself vital energy,  the ancient society in the depths knows and started to (and almost completely) leave/left  this world. Monsters, strange tech were left behind. The surface society is not aware about all of this, just some “sages” or apocalypse prophets. The original Minibx magic rule does not take this in consideration, originally it reads:  Archetypes like Wizard, Cleric, and Elf allow players to cast spells. At first level, Elf and Wizard PCs can record one
Game Design Choices fo MiniBX Hello friends, as you people probably noticed, I’m running an itch funding for my new game MiniBX here . It is an attempt to make this game, already released in Portuguese, a real thing in English as well. I ran the playtest, or the first play of it, with my kids, and also in a Neverland mini campaign with close friends. It ran well and, of course, some adjustments were made during the sessions, so the English version is a bit different from the Portuguese one. I can’t lie that it has been some time since I engaged in a big campaign of this game, or played several sessions, so I kinda forgot what my design choices were. But, the recent reviews of the game made me remember that it is kind of a cool game with some interesting design choices. So I will try to write about the most important design choices here. Of course this is an attempt to get this game funded and all its awesome stretch goals, so if you like this idea back it, it w

The Lock and Key Dungeons

I was recently trying to make a dungeon for a module I was writing, but I wasn't happy with the initial dungeon at all. From the suggestion of one of the editors I decided to redo it, which brought me this thought about how to make a dungeon with puzzles related to the narrative/exploration and having it be tied to the story in a meaningful way.  Initially the idea is very simple, we would have a key that would open a door or a location in a dungeon. But in fact, both the key and the lock would be metaphors. The meaning of these metaphors could reframe this simple concept. There would then be some categories, which I will try to explore below. Some examples of keys: Lore, Power, Exploration, Interaction/Alliances , but they are vast. All these "keys" would then open "locks" of places in the dungeon to be explored, in the broadest sense of the word, and all of them would also be attached to the meaning of it’s key. The Lore Key Lore itself can open hidden or loc